Bishop's Office - Brief History Of The Diocese
Pope Pius XII established the Diocese of Gary on December 17, 1956. Prior to that time, the four counties of the diocese – Lake, LaPorte, Porter, and Starke – were in the Diocese of Fort Wayne.
The Most Reverend Andrew G. Grutka, a priest of the Diocese of Fort Wayne and pastor of Holy Trinity Parish in Gary, was consecrated and installed as the first Bishop of the Diocese of Gary on February 25, 1957.
Bishop Grutka retired on July 9, 1984, when Pope John Paul II appointed the Most Reverend Norbert F. Gaughan, who had been an Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Greensburg, Pennsylvania, to be the second Bishop of the Diocese of Gary. Bishop Gaughan was installed on October 2, 1984.
In February 1992, Bishop Gaughan suffered a debilitating stroke. Because of the bishop’s health, on August 19, 1992, Pope John Paul II appointed the Most Reverend Dale J. Melczek, an Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Detroit, as the Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Gary.
On October 28, 1995, Pope John Paul II appointed Bishop Melczek Coadjutor Bishop of the Diocese of Gary. When Bishop Gaughan retired on June 1, 1996, Bishop Melczek became the diocese’s third bishop.