Sacred Design Expresses Journey of Christian Life
by Rev. M.J. Dobrzynski, Office of Worship
photos by Karen Callaway, NorthWest Indiana Catholic
Holy Angels Parish was established in 1906. The current church structure was elevated to a cathedral when the Diocese of Gary was established in 1956. Although the altar was anointed the church building was never formally dedicated. In 1972, Bishop Grutka, the first Bishop of Gary, authorized the Cathedral's first renovation. In 1997, Bishop Melczek, third Bishop of Gary, commissioned a renewal and renovation of the Cathedral. On January 26, 1998 Bishop Dale Melczek anointed the Altar and dedicated the renewed Cathedral of the Holy Angels.
Please consider making a donation to the Cathedral of the Holy Angels Endowment Fund. This fund supports the Cathedrals operating needs and capital expenses. For more information or to make a contribution please contact Diane Murray, Director of the Catholic Foundation for Northwest Indiana 219-769-9292 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following are awards that have been given to the Cathedral of the Holy Angels over the past few years.
2002 EUGENE POTENTE MERIT AWARD
THE EUGENE POTENTE, SR. MEMORIAL DESIGN COMPETITION
This bi-annual competition encourages excellence in new construction and interior renovation of Christian worship centers. This competition seeks to reward projects exhibiting both sound interior design principles and a thorough understanding of liturgy as expressed in the conciliar and post-conciliar documents of the Second Vatican Council.
MINISTRY & LITURGY, 1999-2000 VISUAL ARTS AWARDS
Honorable Mention, Altar
EXCELLENCE IN MASONRY 2002
Illinois Indiana Masonry Council honors The Roman Catholic Diocese of Gary, entheos Architects & Larson Danielson Construction Company, Inc.
FOR EXCELLENCE IN MASONRY DESIGN
Best of Religious, Bronze Award