What is Natural Family Planning?
Natural Family Planning is a general term that refers to various methods that have been developed to help women and men determine the fertile and infertile times of a woman’s menstrual cycle. Couples learn to recognize the signs of fertility, and how to work with them in a totally healthy, moral, and highly effective way to prevent, space, or achieve pregnancy.
Practicing NFP is 100% natural — there are no drugs, chemicals or devices involved, which is one reason many today find it to be a positive and refreshing alternative to contraceptive methods. NFP honors our dignity as persons by respecting the natural rhythms and functions of the body. Natural Family Planning is a morally acceptable method of family planning that does not violate the covenant vows that married couples make at their wedding.
How can it help my marriage?
- Opens and enriches communication
- 99% effective in preventing pregnancy
- Keeps God in the decision making and allows couples to live true responsible parenthood
- NFP couples have a divorce rate of < 5%
- Virtually cost free
- Healthy, pure, and natural and can be used with irregular cycles
- NaProTECHNOLOGY extremely effective in achieving pregnancy and treating menstrual problems
NFP and Marriage Preparation
Engaged couples are required to take a full class in NFP to complete their marriage preparation for the diocesan program. There are 3 major methods of NFP: Sympto-Thermo Method, Creighton Model System, and the Billings Ovulation Method. On site and online classes in the Sympto-Thermo NFP method are taught in the Diocese of Gary year round. Classes for all 3 methods are available online with live classes in Chicago, Indianapolis, and Lafayette, and throughout the USA.
Methods of NFP