Directory of Offices - Office of Catholic Schools
- Develops and implements the annual Principals’ In-Service/Retreat gatherings.
- Develops and implements the New Teacher Orientation and monthly support meetings.
- Provides local or regional staff professional development opportunities according to the School Improvement Plan.
- Supports schools’ participation in the bi-annual INPEA Teacher Conference.
- Revises Curriculum Guides on the Indiana textbook cycle in partnership with teachers and principals.
- Prepares all principal and teacher contracts for local pastors and principals.
- Provides all diocesan forms to local schools.
- Develops, helps to implement, and provides services for diocesan-wide community programs such as safe environment, crisis management, safety audits, student assistance programs, and ESL screening.
- Coordinates the diocesan members of the Indiana Federation of Catholic School Parents, which is linked to the advocacy efforts of the Indiana Catholic Conference.
- Maintains a file of teacher applicants and substitute teachers for principals.
- Implements a program of recruitment for candidates for potential school administrative positions in the diocese.
- Collaborates with Office of Ministry Formation to provide religious formation program for principals and teachers
- Implements Diocesan Tuition Assistance Program
- Implements Safe Environment Plan including the “Protecting God’s Children” training sessions and the VIRTUS online bulletins.
- Conducts national and state background checks for all staff, faculties, and volunteers for the Diocese of Gary.
- Provides support for Strategic Planning implementation.
- Provides the annual Pastor and Principal 40/30/20 year Veteran Teacher Appreciation Luncheon.
The Catholic Schools Office accomplishes the following communication efforts:
- Visits to school communities with emphasis on schools with declining enrollment or budget issues.
- Communicates regularly with the principals by monthly mailings and weekly Email Updates.
- Communicates with both pastors and principals to determine:
- Principal effectiveness
- Staffing needs
- Budget projections
- The State Department of Education, and the Indiana Professional Standards Board.
- The Indiana Non-Public Education Association (INPEA) and the Indiana Federation of Catholic School Families (IFCSF) which work with the Indiana Catholic Conference (ICC) in political networking and advocating Catholic education.
- The National Catholic Education Association (NCEA) which is the national organization for Catholic educators. Services include materials, workshops, newsletters, and conferences.