Donald J. Hying
Bishop of Gary
Thank you for visiting the Diocese of Gary’s Vocations Office!
In His infinite love and wisdom, God has a plan for us all and those who are open to His plans discover that they are happiest when they fulfill those plans. Somehow and in some way, the Holy Spirit has led you to examine this website. We are most grateful for that.
It is our hope that you will find helpful information, reflections, and links on this site to assist you in discerning God’s plan for your life. We pray that you are not only open to God’s plan, but that you also have the courage to reach Fr. Dave, our Vocation Director, for further help.
May God bless you as you discern His Will.
Most Reverend Donald J. Hying
Bishop of Gary
This page has been set up to help you:
- Understand more about the idea of vocations (What is a vocation?)
- Become aware of ways to discern God’s call (Discernment Opportunities)
- Answer questions about priesthood and discernment (FAQs)
- Meet our seminarians, men formally discerning and preparing for diocesan priesthood
(Meet the Seminarians)
- Find out about priestly formation (Helpful Links)
- Know what’s going on in the Vocations Office (Newsletter)
A Message from the Vocation Director:
Trying to figure out whether or not priesthood is the right thing for you is a hard task.
- Do I have what it takes to be a priest?
- Will I be happy being a priest?
- If I become a priest, will my whole life change?
- Is it God Who is calling me to be a priest?
It takes time, the help of family and friends, and a whole lot of prayer to know if priesthood is your vocation. In my own experience, I thought about priesthood for years and spent time in the seminary before I felt sure of God’s call. For others, they have known God’s call from childhood. If God is calling you, God will also help you know His call, and He will give you what you need to be happy and successful as a priest.
Please feel free to read the pages and click on the links on this website. If you have questions or comments, you are most certainly welcome to contact me at the Vocations office (219-962-8626) or email me at email@example.com. May God bless you and help you to know His will for your life.